About the job
As a Software Engineering Manager on the Homes team focusing on Customer Experience you’ll have the opportunity to work on a greenfield product within Hopper’s $1B+ travel ecosystem.
You will build an engineering team that makes Homes the most customer and user friendly option in the vacation rental home industry. You will have direct ownership and lead the building of customer friendly features for managing bookings, cancellations, support and anything else that impacts the customers journey post-booking. You will also have a direct impact on our Customer Support agents to help them do more and solve customer issues faster, providing a best in class customer experience.
Our tech stack
• We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services.
• Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python.
• Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android.
• We mostly host our services on Google Cloud with some on-prem.
• We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, Redis.
• We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies.
- A passion for building customer centric software
- Thrived in complex microservices ecosystem with a proven track record of designing and developing new microservices that drive the experience for millions of users
- Thorough understanding of Web system architecture and design at scale, with ability to clearly communicate and quantify trade-offs of key decisions
- Proven ability to make tradeoffs between technical needs and delivering on business opportunities
- Excelled in an environment with cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
- Experience hiring and growing a team of talented engineers
- Expertise with GCP and/or AWS
- Fluency in least one modern programming language (Python, Go, Scala, etc)
- Lead future development and technical execution for our customer experience vertical
- Align and drive team members towards an inspiring vision, yet stage work to deliver value incrementally
- Deliver fast and reliable user experience for our customers, leveraging various technologies such as Swift, Kotlin, and Scala and technologies like GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL.
- As a hands-on lead, you will work closely with our team of software engineers and product managers to deliver rapid value.
- Collaborate directly with technology leadership on ensuring Hopper’s success
- Hire, lead, mentor, and coach engineers on the team
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a Retirement Savings Plan
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!