Hopper offers a remote work policy that empowers employees to work from anywhere. Employees have the opportunity to work in an office environment or they can receive a work-from-home stipend if they prefer to work from home.
A stellar opportunity to have massive impact: join the growing team at a company continually redefining how people travel. As a software engineer, you will be directly responsible for many of the innovative features we’ll be working on. Whether it's collaborating with our outstanding design and product teams or helping our data science group, you'll work on bleeding-edge to personalize travel for our ever-expanding population of members.
The Hotels Marketplace is one of the fastest growing businesses at Hopper, having grown its revenue 650% in 2021. This team works to make the Hopper app the most convenient and trustworthy place to book the best hotels at the best prices. This includes everything from the shopping and booking UX with gamification and price incentives, to automating our best-in-class support so customers can get help when and where they need it. The Hotels Marketplace teams are customer-obsessed, fast-paced, and results focused, so we’re looking for exceptional engineers to help us raise the bar and continue our growth in 2022.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Build innovative consumer experiences on iOS and/or Android
- Own the features from inception throughout their lifecycle including technical debt and testing
- Set high standards for quality and maintainability and mentor others to do the same
- Handle complex features that will cross system boundaries on the Mobile applications and our rich microservice system
- Communicate and collaborate with other engineers, product managers, data scientists and designers to deliver incremental wins
- Continuously improve our team’s ways of working
An ideal candidate has:
- A passion for building engaging user experiences
- A strong background in Software Engineering ( 5 years +)
- Experience in developing user-facing web/mobile applications
- Master one or many languages
- Experience or is willing to learn distributed system development using our tech stack. (Swift, Kotlin, Scala)
- The ability to bring leading industry techniques and technologies to the table
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable and maintainable code that performs well for our consumers
Our tech stack:
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android
- We mostly host our services on Google Cloud with some on-prem
- We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, Redis
- GKE (K8) , terraform
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!