About the job
We’re looking for an experienced Backend Developer to join Hopper’s new Customer Service Engineering team. The team responsible for ensuring that all backend technologies powering customer service are integrated, maintained and optimized to ensure a smooth customer experience for millions of Hopper users.
As a member of the team, you will be directly responsible for designing, implementing, deploying and operating the complex backend systems that power Hopper’s award-winning user experience.
• 3+ years experience in building and maintaining dynamic backend environments, delivering user experience at scale
• A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
• Experience building and managing multiple external API integrations
• Excels in multi-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Operations, Data Scientists and other highly skilled specialists
• A passionate focus on writing quality testable code that performs well for our users
• Analytical and problem-solving skills to clarify, analyze and investigate organizational needs, identify potential roadblocks and develop viable, working, and cost-effective solutions
• Effective at managing multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities, taking ownership, and delivering results while prioritizing customer outcomes
• Broad understanding of cloud contact center technologies, organization, and operations
• Experience in implementing and maintaining complex routing, skillset libraries, and customer journey flows using technologies such as Calabrio and Kustomer
• Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Build and optimize innovative customer integration points based on existing frontend experiences
- Ship your first code in days, iterating on features in an agile manner
- Solve complex technical and software architecture problems
- Participate in the whole lifecycle of feature development from inception to maintenance including technical debt and testing.
- Learn high standards for quality and maintainability and mentor others to do the same.
- Help build complex features that will cross system boundaries on the mobile application and our rich microservice system.
- Collaborate with other engineers, customer service stakeholders, product managers, data scientists,designers to deliver incremental wins.
- Thoughtfully assist with the evolution and automation of our ops processes
- Configure and integrate contact center solutions into the existing support stack in a way that is scalable, extensible, and portable
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer-paid telemedicine, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a Retirement Savings Plan
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!