• 4+ years experience thriving in backend engineering positions
• A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
• Excels in multi-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, and other highly skilled specialists
• A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
• Working with Scala, Java or other functional languages
• RESTful APIs
• Using metrics to help drive project success
• Prior work in risk, fraud or payments
About The Job
As we scale our business, customer trust, and conversely customer fraud and abuse, become more and more important both as a growing cost and as a headwind to customer lifetime value. In order to better protect our customers and prevent fraud, we need to build and optimize the tools . We are looking for an individual excited by the challenge of working with a new team to build and scale these solutions.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Fraud & Abuse Team, you’ll be contributing to the efforts to help minimize the impact of fraud on our business. You will be responsible for integrating our 3rd party fraud detection tools across the platform, improving their accuracy through data analysis and eventually building new customer facing solutions to provide better account security.
- Integrate, monitor and improve the accuracy of our third party fraud integration that processes thousands of transactions each day.
- Build from the ground up new backend microservices and customer facing fraud prevention tools.
- Be empowered to drive innovation for our Fraud & Abuse systems.
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, across Engineering, Data Science, Product and Leadership, executing on big opportunities and helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry!
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!