Hopper offers a remote work policy that empowers employees to work from anywhere.
About the job
A stellar opportunity to have a massive impact: join a world-class engineering team at a company that is redefining how people travel. As a Software Engineer in our Air business unit, you will be directly responsible for designing, implementing, deploying and operating the complex backend systems that power Hopper’s award-winning user experience.
We have several open positions within our Air group. Here are a few examples of teams for which we are hiring!
Air Servicing Automation
The Post-Booking CX team Air Servicing, builds and maintains automated systems and user interfaces that empower our customers to service their booking on their own, for example to cancel or change their flight, redeem an airline travel credit (Carrot Cash!) or other consumer needs. We empower internal teams and our B2B partners to leverage our air platform services for the benefit of all Hopper customers.
The Air Foundation team builds and maintains a reliable and scalable platform on which Hopper operates its innovative products. The team is passionate about reliability, scalability, performance, and extensibility of flight search and booking processes. They empower product development teams by providing tools and platforms to minimize feature development time.
The App Experience team builds and maintains the Hopper flights mobile experience, which includes searching & booking a flight, as well as purchasing flight related add-ons like seat selection, bags, premium meals and upgrades. They build the application from the ground up, from the backend services to the user interface.
• 6+ Years Experience building and maintaining systems leveraging complex modeling and data at scale
• Thrived in backend engineering positions and delivered user experience at scale
• The ability to bring leading industry techniques and technologies to the table
• A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
• Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists
• A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
- Build and operate robust and performant infrastructure that supports millions of bookings per year
- Solve complex technical and software architecture problems
- Ship your first code in days, iterating on features in an agile manner
- Leverage and contribute to a rich micro service architecture system
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!