As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be focused on the availability, reliability and operational efficiency of Hopper's core production services in the Cloud. We're looking for passionate engineers that enjoy partnering with product development teams to build, deploy and maintain tools and software services for our mobile app customers and SAAS business partners. You will be asked to leverage your understanding of public cloud architecture applied to Hopper's software stack, to design and implement solutions that are secure, scalable and operationally sound, and to lead by influence and drive positive change to achieve operational excellence.
Are you ready to come help architect the future Hopper with us?
- Experience working with Cloud environments ( GCP and/or AWS )
- Experience monitoring services and infrastructure, log collection, analytics, and application performance monitoring (APM)
- Experience using and supporting gRPC, OpenAPI or other frameworks to facilitate micro-service development
- Experience running a mission critical service at scale
- Experience working with configuration, CICD and orchestration technologies (such as Kubernetes, Mesos, Ansible, etc)
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Strong background in Site Reliability Engineering, DevOps, Software Engineering or Systems Engineering
- Worked in Agile delivery teams and environment
- Experience creating automated solutions & eagerness to automate
- Excellent verbal and writing skills and the ability to use influence as effectively as direct control
- Fluency in least one modern programming language (Python, Go, Scala, etc)
- Experience in the air travel domain
- Experience mentoring and training other team members
- Define and implement service level indicators (SLIs), monitors, alerts and anomaly detection
- Coach and support teams of software engineers and leadership on site reliability best practices and have a multiplier effect
- Perform root cause analysis on core flight services disruptions and outages and participate in the remediation
- Design, implement, and maintain tools and automation as required to reduce the operational toil
- Work with cross organizational teams to develop best-in-breed solutions to complex problems
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
- Participate in on-call rotation as needed (shared with product engineers)
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!