About the job
A stellar opportunity to have massive impact: join the rapidly growing Fintech team at a company continually redefining how people travel. Our team started out with a mission to empower travelers with revolutionary new products powered by big data, and in less than a year we’ve grown from a nascent business into one that is directly responsible for 20% of Hotels revenue.
As Senior Software Engineer, you will be directly responsible for many of the innovative features we’ll be working on, whether collaborating with our outstanding design and product team or helping our data science group work on the bleeding-edge technology to personalize travel for our ever expanding population of members.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Build innovative consumer experiences, setting standards for code and performance
- Ship your first code in days, iterating on features in an agile manner
- Decide how to best build core systems to take advantage of our microservices architecture
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
An ideal candidate has:
- Solid understanding of basic web backend concepts - databases, routes, data models, middleware, auth, etc.
- Strong problem-solving skills, proven ability to translate ideas into code
- Track record of successful collaboration with technical and non-technical people
- 4 yrs software experience
- Obvious culture fit - winning attitude and strong communication skills
- Thrived in backend technologies and delivered user experience at scale
- The ability to bring leading industry techniques and technologies to the table
- Experience mentoring and leading people at different stages in their career
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven scale-up with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- Very generous parental leave
- Medical, dental and optical benefits
- WeWork All Access Pass / Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!