About the job
We're looking for an amazing Backend Engineer to join Hopper's new and quickly growing Cars team!
As a Senior Software Engineer in our Ground business unit, you will be directly responsible for designing, implementing, deploying, and operating the complex backend systems that power Hopper’s award-winning user experience. This role will be working on both feature development and infrastructure so you’ll get to be involved in different parts of our product.
As the newest travel category at Hopper, Car rentals is a fast-growing product that in less than a year has grown to represent more than 15% of our travel bookings and that it’s only at the beginning of its journey. This is an opportunity where you will have a massive impact on the definition and evolution of our business!
In this role you will:
- Build and operate robust and performant infrastructure that supports millions of bookings per year
- Solve complex technical and software architecture problems
- Ship your first code in days, iterating on features in an agile manner
- Leverage and contribute to a rich microservice architecture system
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Thoughtfully assist with the evolution and automation of our ops processes.
A perfect candidate has:
- Solid understanding of microservices architecture and ability to autonomously develop Scala-based microservices (no prior Scala knowledge needed but some experience with the JVM is strongly preferred)
- Experience building and managing multiple external API integrations
- Experience and strong ability to design APIs
- Professional experience developing data-heavy platforms or APIs
- Experience working with gRPC/Protobuf
- Functional programming experience is strongly preferred (Java, Scala, Haskell, F#, etc…)
- Solid understanding of Cloud Platforms (GCP knowledge is a plus)
- Kubernetes knowledge and experience strongly preferred
- A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability (concurrency, non-blocking IO, performance tuning)
- Thrived in backend engineering positions and delivered user experience at scale
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists
- Experience working in the travel industry would be a plus
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- Work from anywhere with a good internet connection
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!