About the job
A stellar opportunity to have a massive impact: join the growing team at a company continually redefining how people travel. As Senior Software Developer, you will be directly responsible for many of the innovative features we’ll be working on. Whether it's collaborating with our outstanding design and product teams or helping our data science group, you'll work on bleeding-edge to personalize travel for our ever-expanding population of members.
We are looking for a Senior Software Developer to join one of our Hotels Marketplace Price Merchandising team and help us build the best travel app, providing Hopper customers with the best experience and lowest prices for their hotels. You’ll work with a highly skilled team of technical, data and product-focused individuals, whose mission is to consistently find and deliver the best travel deals for our customers.
The Hotels Marketplace group is responsible for delivering the best user experience in Hopper Android and iOS apps when searching and booking hotels. We build the best and most convenient way to search for hotels, providing the user with the information needed to help them understand the different options and make an informed choice. Booking hotels is complicated by many different options but we decipher and present that in an easy meaningful way. We work on all kinds of filters to help the users slice and dice until they find their best hotels. As a mobile developer, you will obsess about UI and user experience. You will also move quickly and help us experiment and iterate fast. You will collaborate with developers, product managers, designers, data scientists and break down sophisticated problems into small pieces suitable for quick iterations.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Create delightful user experiences in our app (iOS)
- Help design APIs
- Not afraid of doing some backend work when it's needed
- Collaborate with a team of talented engineers to develop innovative user experiences
- Quickly prototype new ideas and run experiments to identify features that users love
- Help evolve our mobile architecture to consistently improve development efficiency and quality
The ideal candidate has:
- 5+ years of software development experience, mixing mobile platform development with and or server-side work
- Good understanding of Swift and the iOS mobile platform
- Passion for building engaging user experiences
- Excelled in an environment with cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
- Thorough understanding of working with microservices at scale, familiarity with at least one server-side stack (Scala or pure functional stacks preferred)
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs well for our consumers and help evolve our mobile architecture to consistently improve development efficiency and quality
Our tech stack:
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android
- We mostly host our services on Google Cloud
- We use things like Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Redis, VertexAI
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer-paid telemedicine, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a Retirement Savings Plan
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!