Hopper offers a remote work policy that empowers employees to work from anywhere. Employees have the opportunity to work in an office environment or they can receive a work-from-home stipend if they prefer to work from home.
We're looking for an amazing Backend Developer to join Hopper's quickly growing Distributed Fintech team! Within the Fintech team, you will have the opportunity to have an outsized impact on the company as we integrate our products with a fast-growing list of partners.
As a Software Engineer in our Distributed Fintech business unit, you will be directly responsible for designing, implementing, deploying and operating the complex backend systems that power our Hopper’s partner integrations!
In this role, you will:
- Iterate on features in an agile manner using Scala (no prior experience required) and technologies like GCP, OpenAPI, BigQuery, Pub/Sub among others.
- Decide how to best build core systems to take advantage of our microservices architecture
- Ship your first code in days, iterating on features in an agile manner
- Quickly prototype new insights and run experiments to identify features that users love.
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
- 4 years Software experience
- Solid understanding of basic web backend concepts - databases, routes, data models, middleware, auth, etc.
- Strong problem-solving skills, proven ability to translate ideas into code
- Track record of successful collaboration with technical and non-technical people
- Winning attitude and strong communication skills
An ideal candidate has:
- The ability to bring leading industry techniques and technologies to the table
- A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
- The ability to work with minimal guidance, be proactive and to handle uncertainty, ambiguity and the challenge of quickly evolving goals
- Prior cloud experience
- Working with Scala and its Libraries
- Prior travel or eCommerce experience
Our tech stack:
- Containerized microservices architecture with over 200+ services running primarily in Google Cloud Kubernetes
- Our backends are primarily built using Scala and Akka while our web front ends use TypesScript/React
- We make extensive use of OpenAPI, GKE, OAuth, Pub/Sub, Big Query, Spanner
- We are heavily data driven making extensive use of tools like Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!