About the job
At Hopper, our first priority is our customers. Our customer’s first priority is to find the lowest prices for travel. Therefore, ensuring Hopper has the lowest prices for the products our customers want to buy is critical.
We’re looking for a self-starting, business and strategy-oriented data analyst that will help us create the hotels' marketplace with the best and cheapest inventory in the world. Your responsibilities will be diverse - from supporting a team of business development professionals around the world, conducting competitive benchmarking, and identifying opportunities to improve our pricing strategy. Your work will be critical for the success of Hopper’s biggest travel category.
The ideal candidate is excited about empowering teams with actionable data, comfortable breaking down large unstructured problems, and able to apply deep analytics skills to help steer the group’s direction, inform strategy, and ultimately help ensure Hopper provides customers with the best and cheapest hotel rooms. Your day-to-day work may change depending on what’s most important for the business at a point in time, but you’ll need to work with rich and varied datasets, with a team of world-class product, business and engineering leaders.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Own analytics and for a team of business development professionals around the world, as well as develop and implement Hopper’s strategy to secure the best hotels’ supply in the world
- Become an expert on pricing, user experiments, and industry data from both internal and external sources to synthesize analyses and build dashboards that identify and drive new growth opportunities
- Develop metrics and frameworks to measure our price competitiveness and behaviors across millions of users to steer the direction of the Hopper Homes business
- Build compelling business cases that show how we can improve our hotels’ supply, and how those improvements would benefit our customers
- Partner closely with cross-functional stakeholders, including Product Managers, Engineers, Business Developers, and Leadership across the team
The ideal candidate has:
- A degree in Business, Strategy, Finance, Math, Statistics, Economics, or other quantitative discipline
- SQL proficiency or a strong desire to learn. Expertise a plus
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills, with data analysis or financial modeling experience
- Enthusiasm and curiosity for conducting research and answering hard questions with data
- Self-starter. Able to prioritize many objectives based on impact potential, and eager to learn new technologies and domains to get the job done
- Strong written communication skills. Able to construct a compelling, data-driven narrative to express ideas and proposals
- Experience with a reporting tool like Tableau a plus
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer-paid telemedicine, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a Retirement Savings Plan
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!