About the job
We want to save our customers money, plain and simple. The Ground Transportation team wants to build the best and cheapest place to book rental cars.
As the leader of the team, you will lead by example in demonstrating world class pricing measurement and product development. You will ensure that Hopper is consistently offering the best prices and products available from our suppliers, and develop novel rate constructs that make booking on Hopper cheaper than anywhere else. You’ll lead our engineering team to build the best cars travel agency on the market, and you’ll hire, coach and retain a top notch pricing team.
We’re seeing some crazy growth as a team: we have 10x’ed bookings in 3 months, gone from low $100ks in sales to sales to hundreds of millions, and delighted a lot of customers along the way! But we want to be bigger and do better, and this role will have a major impact on our ability to do just that.
In this role you will:
- Set business strategy - uncover new areas of business opportunity, write business cases and narratives on these opportunities and execute against the opportunities.
- Manage a product roadmap for a set of features and experiments from inception through implementation; collect requirements, establish key performance metrics, and drive execution.
- Lead stakeholder conversations, negotiations, and discovery to ensure we are working backwards from our customers and our business goals.
- Work with the engineering team leads to drive cadence - the best teams are teams that have achieved product-development cadence and have a robust roadmap filled with experiments and features that are shipping on time.
- Ideate and evaluate features that further differentiate Hopper and align with the goals of our partners. Understand and explain complex technical issues, discern impact, and communicate them to maximize clarity and drive resolution.
- Bring new products to market by analyzing proposed product requirements and product development programs; preparing return-on-investment analyses; establishing time schedules with engineering.
- Grow revenue - a vertical, and therefore its leader, is only as successful as its contribution to the business objectives.
An ideal candidate has:
- A passion for Hopper’s mission to build the most customer centric travel marketplace on Earth
- 5+ years of proven success in a product or strategy role, preferably in startup and/or high-growth environments
- Experience working with large datasets in a technical capacity (e.g. using SQL, R, Tableau, etc.)A demonstrated track record of delivering innovative product features at scale
- Highly proficient analytical abilities to draw accurate conclusions from data and adjust strategy accordingly
- Experience working with and owning relationships with external stakeholdersTechnical depth to enable productive collaboration with world-class engineers and data scientistsObsessive focus on the details in planning, evaluating, and building products
- Strong ability to grasp, manage, and articulate complex systems
- A track record of evaluating product initiatives via both qualitative logic and quantitative assessmentExcellent writing skills to construct compelling business cases both in-person and in-writing
- No ego with a strong focus on doing what is right for the customer and the company
- Experience in revenue or pricing management, especially in ecommerce or travel
- Experience with travel technology in a technical, operational, product, or strategic role
- Understanding of end-to-end online travel agency (OTA) workflows from shopping through servicing
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!