About the job
A stellar opportunity to make a massive impact as a founding member of a new team focused on helping the company scale internationally. We will build the foundational platform that all verticals (e.g. Air, Hotel, Ground transportation) in the company will rely on for their geo-expansion efforts. As a Principal Software Engineer, you will also be responsible for scaling, improving and extending our products and services to accommodate international requirements.
You’ll work with a highly skilled team of technical, data and product-focused individuals, whose mission is to consistently find and deliver the best experience to our international customers. You have strong software, data modeling, analytical skills, and a passion and empathy for our international users. Everything we do is focused on customer experience, you’ll be responsible for making an awesome international user experience a reality.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Pioneer future development and technical execution for international use cases
- Provide solutions and guidance on methodologies for globalization of applications and services to ensure they are world-ready
- Mentor and drive team members towards an inspiring vision, being a huge proponent of best practices, performance and reliability
- Deliver complex features and help our team pioneer new functionalities for our customers leveraging Swift, Kotlin, and Scala and technologies like Kafka or GCP Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, Redis
- Collaborate directly with the company’s technology leadership on insuring Hopper’s successEnsure a highly available and resilient system and foster a culture of excellence
The ideal candidate has:
- Thrived in a complex microservices ecosystem and designed, built and maintained robust and well-performing web services at scale (Scala and Java preferred) in a cloud environment like AWS or GCP
- Experience as a hands-on team lead or manager, establishing coding standards, processes, on call rotations, conducting PR reviews and mentoring other members of the team
- Track record of building and launching innovative products in international markets sorting complexity and uncertainty
- Exposure to iOS, Android, Web, and server internationalization/localization best practices, libraries, and tools
- A drive to iterate architecture in harmony with an agile workflow and working in cooperation and influencing others in large engineering organizations
- A love of learning and teaching with a demonstrable empathy for customers
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills and experience documenting and presenting to technical and non-technical audiences
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!