Hopper offers a remote work policy that empowers employees to work from anywhere. Employees have the opportunity to work in an office environment or they can receive a work-from-home stipend if they prefer to work from home.
About the job
A stellar opportunity to have massive impact: join the rapidly growing team at a company continually redefining how people travel. As Principal Software Engineer, you will be directly responsible for many of the innovative features we’ll be working on, working on projects of exceptionally deep technical complexity, as well as helping us navigate our technical vision ensuring we’re always continually setting a high standard for what we produce.
The ideal candidate has:
• Thrived in complex microservices ecosystem and written robust and well-performing web services
• A drive to iterate architecture in harmony with an agile workflow
• Designed and developed new microservices in an environment fuelling the actions and experience of millions of users
• Experience acting as catalyst for change in Agile development teams
• A love of learning and teaching
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Pioneer future development and technical execution for the services that drive our consumer travel app
- Mentor and drive team members towards an inspiring vision, being a huge proponent of best practices, performance and reliability
- Deliver complex features and help our team pioneer new functionalities for our customers leveraging Swift, Kotlin, and Scala and technologies like Kafka or GCP Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, Redis.
- Collaborate directly with the company’s technology leadership on insuring Hopper’s success
- Mentor and coach technical team members
Our tech stack:
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services.
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python.
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android.
- We mostly host our services on Google Cloud with some on-prem.
- We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, Redis.
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies.
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer-paid telemedicine, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a Retirement Savings Plan
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!