Pricing Strategy Analysts at Hopper are naturally curious, first principle thinkers, who will help take Hopper from a disruptive startup to the leader in online travel. As a Pricing Strategy Analyst on the Flexibility team, you will own the pricing strategy for a portfolio of products generating over $36M in revenue annually. Leveraging various data sources, both internally and externally, you’ll continually ask and answer the question, are we priced correctly? On any given day - whether you’re analyzing customer/market trends, coming up with new hypotheses for future experiments, or forecasting future performance - your contribution will be critical to Hopper’s current and future success.
Hopper has been one of the biggest disruptors in the travel space since its launch in early 2015. Using proprietary data to power features which help users save money, plan smarter, and book with confidence, we’ve helped travelers plan hundreds of millions of trips and save billions of dollars. Along the way, we’ve nearly 10X’d our valuation over the last two years, most recently being valued at $5B in February 2022.
Leveraging data science to solve customers’ problems is in Hopper’s DNA. This began with helping customers save money by booking at the best time with our Price Prediction, while more recently we’ve built a suite of novel Fintech products which help customers save money and retain optionality to cancel or change their trips as needed.
We’re ready to take these products to the next level. After quickly growing the portfolio to over $36M in revenue annually, we’re at a pivotal point in the growth stage where pricing is critical. In this role you will own the end-to-end pricing strategy. You’ll leverage millions of data points from various data sources to create hypotheses around our pricing and ultimately run experiments to validate/invalidate them. You’ll create visualizations and dashboards to monitor product prices, and improve visibility for stakeholders into both revenue and risk. With the full support of world class engineers and product managers, you’ll help take Flexibility at Hopper to new heights. At Hopper, we are creating the most customer-centric travel products on the planet, and we need a creative, data-driven, and ambitious Pricing Analyst to help us execute on our vision.
In this role, you will:
- Manage a pricing roadmap for a set of Fintech products
- Become an expert in our pricing, user experiments, and industry data from both internal and external sources to synthesize analyses and build dashboards that identify and drive new growth opportunities
- Appropriately manage the risk on our balance sheet and understand the levers that impact it
- Develop metrics and frameworks to constantly measure our price performance and competitiveness and optimize for key success metrics
- Work closely with Product Managers, Engineers, Data Engineers and others across the team towards defining and prioritizing tasks that help us accomplish our goals
An ideal candidate has:
- Proven track record of analyzing complex data, drawing accurate conclusions, and implementing meaningful pricing strategies rooted in economic principles
- Strong experience, knowledge of, and/or keen interest in Fintech, Insurtech, or risk-based products
- A knack for writing clear documentation, with easy-to-follow reasoning and visuals
- Empathy for travelers across various travel categories, and the challenges they might encounter over the course of their trip
- Exceptional ability to simplify complex problems into their fundamental principles, clearly articulating how changes to a model might affect outputs
- Strong intuition about what metrics matter for tracking, and how the underlying distribution of the data might affect them
- Technical depth that allows you to communicate with, understand, and earn the respect of world-class engineers, product managers, and data scientists
- Proactive mindset and persuades colleagues by constructing a compelling narrative both in-person and in-writing
- Experience in e-commerce, insurtech, or in the travel industry
- Experience using SQL, Amplitude, Google BigQuery
- Comfort with using Python to explore large data sets, create data visualizations, and develop models
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!