Hopper is seeking a Legal Operations Specialist to join its growing legal team, as part of the fastest-growing online travel company in the world. This Specialist will be Hopper’s first Legal Operations role, responsible for a variety of legal operational needs arising in connection with Hopper’s global business, including management of technology solutions, document management, and vendors. Areas of focus will include shareholder management, contract administration, compliance and regulatory operations, business license management, support for mergers and acquisitions, and intellectual property portfolio management. You will be expected to take initiative to create and improve processes, maintain records, and coordinate communications between the legal team and the broader organization.
The right applicant will be a self-starter, quick learner, strategic and collaborative thinker, and creative builder. Applicants should have demonstrated excellence in working with rapidly changing business requirements and priorities in a fast-paced environment. As a trusted advisor to Hopper’s senior leadership, you must demonstrate the highest ethical and moral standards.
Being a member of a small legal team will require you to interact frequently and work collaboratively and creatively with Hopper business unit leaders and outside counsel globally to explain and navigate complex and often undefined legal requirements. The Hopper legal team currently has presence in the United Kingdom, United States and Canada.
- Legal, contracting, compliance, regulatory obligations, as well as investor and IP management, related to Hopper’s business units in all global markets. This is primarily a remote position.
- Partial in-person presence will be required in Hopper’s London office, but upon a flexible schedule to be determined.
- Working closely with Hopper’s Senior Paralegal, General Counsel, and other legal team members on all issues affecting Hopper’s business globally, including corporate governance, data privacy and security, contracting, tax, corporate financing, corporate development.
Qualifications and Background Requirements
- Two (2) years minimum experience in a paralegal or operations position on an in-house HR, finance, or legal team and/or firm corporate law practice;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
- Familiarity with operations and productivity software (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and HR systems).
- Experience in reviewing and navigating complex contracts.
- Negotiable; includes option shares, standard vesting over four years.
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!