We are looking for an amazing iOS Mobile Developer to join Hopper’s new and quickly growing Social Features team! This is an opportunity where you will have a massive impact on the definition and evolution of how our users experience Hopper. The team is under the Growth business unit that is driving innovations to increase Hopper’s adoption and customer engagement. This is a cross functional team, with both mobile and backend developers.
The right person will be delivering customer facing features, from iOS native code to Scala backend code (which is used as our remote rendering framework). No experience in Scala is needed; you just need to be excited about learning and working with our internal UI framework. While you do not need to have many years of experience, we are looking for 1+ years of experience working within a development team and interacting with stakeholders (such as PMs and UX). It is critical that you are interested in the product (Hopper) and willing to learn and work with different technologies to complete a project.
- You'll have ownership of the iOS code base
- Build innovative consumer experiences, setting standards for code and performance
- Create delightful user experiences in an app using Swift
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
- Implement product specification by programming the iOS application using Swift
- Participate in the product design process and contribute ideas from a product-focused engineering perspective
- Passion for building engaging user experiences
- Excelled in an environment with cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
- 5+ years professional experience in iOS development
- Good understanding of Swift and the iOS mobile platform
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs well for our consumers
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
Our Tech Stack
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services.
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python.
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android.
- We host our services on Google Cloud
- We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, Redis.
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies.
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!