• Bachelor's degree in law or accounting
• Completion or working towards completion of a Master’s degree in Taxation or Law or CICA in depth course
• Minimum of 7 years of tax experience in an accounting firm or corporate tax department
• Excellent computer skills, a willingness and an eagerness to excel at technical systems
• Comfortable as a “hands-on” manager and willing to roll up your sleeves to get things done
• Are committed to continuous growth and learning. You understand that every challenge is an opportunity and you get excited about learning new things
• Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills with the ability to commit and push through decisions
• Ability to adjust rapidly to changing demands and priorities
• Strong communication skills, including the ability to simplify complex concepts to management and non-tax practitioners
• Exposure and knowledge to a wide array of tax subject matters and ability to bridge with internal parties
• Knowledge of indirect tax at the US state and local level is an asset
• Cross-border and international tax exposure is an asset
• Technology/Travel industry experience is an asset
About the job
We are looking for a tax professional with impeccable business acumen who can help us understand the underlying tax implications and exposure of our activities. The ideal candidate can propose clear strategic and scalable recommendations for the future growth of Hopper. Tax is a niche knowledge but it doesn’t mean that it needs to be scary or complicated, your communication skills will allow for everyone to gain an understanding on the financial risks and opportunities. You are happy working with multiple external parties, experts in their subject matter, and are capable of guiding them, with clear and concise goals and deliverables. You are versatile and curious, so when the next fundraising, company acquisition, opening of an entity or product launch comes along, you are eager to contribute your knowledge to these projects. As this is Hopper’s initial step to bring fiscal knowledge in-house, you are not afraid to be a hands-on leader and make decisions, if something new needs to be built, you are the person for the job.
- Owner of all that is tax compliance filings, you will be the guide for accounting and legal to ensure Hopper respects all mandatory business filings.
- Quarterback of complex tax matters in any current project, with deep understanding of the business and raising the right questions.
- Manage all external tax relationships with counsels and professional firms, including recurring matters such as annual audit and updates in transfer pricing model.
- Connect with business leaders and assess the product line’s indirect tax framework in order to assist the Control group in building the reporting processes.
- Work closely with the payroll department to ensure appropriate taxation and remittance set-up of all employees.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of controls to reach fiscal optimization.
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer-paid telemedicine, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a Retirement Savings Plan
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!