About the job
Hopper's innovative Protection team is looking for an excellent, autonomous Data Engineer to join our team. The Data Engineer will help ensure that we are properly leveraging the data related to how customers interact with our innovative, risk-based travel protection products. You will leverage your experience as an engineer writing code and your expertise with data-intensive systems to solve customer problems.
Besides implementing data pipelines and helping to set best practices for working with data within the team, you will also help reinforce a culture of ownership over data integrity among the team's engineers. You will plan and implement software components that ensure we are collecting, processing, and analyzing the right data in the right way to build Machine Learning models to compute risk and price, construct dashboards and tools to help Product Managers and Business Analysts, and consult on emerging needs to facilitate rapid and sustainable solution iteration.
- Enable data-driven insights, efficient algorithm training, and accurate reporting by ensuring consistent, accurate, and accessible data for internal analysis.
- Work backwards from customer needs with Product and Engineering Managers to set and achieve measurable goals regarding data integrity.
- Maintain and iterate on machine learning models underlying our protection products, and the data systems and pipelines that power them.
- Develop and distribute best practices for recording, storing, and processing product data to facilitate rapid development and self-service.
- Draft and review specifications and plans relating to data generation and consumption related to the team's products.
- Write, review, and deploy production code related to data storage and processing for the team's products.
- Promote a culture of engineering ownership of data concerns within the team.
Strong candidates will have:
- 3+ years of recent experience building and operating high-volume and high-reliability data processing systems
- A strong sense of ownership over outcomes, and preference for results over process
- Hands-on experience working with the Google Cloud Platform suite of tools
- An iterative approach to problem solving, using data to plot out the optimal path forward
- Experience with data warehousing, data infrastructure, and ETL (Terraform, AirFlow, Dataflow, BigQuery or similar tools
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!