About the job
We’re looking for a motivated data engineer to help us capitalize on key data-centric product opportunities within our Hopper Cloud business unit. You might be a great fit for our team if you’re a self-starter who thrives on uncertainty, and who’s passionate about exploring the intersection of real business problems with huge (and often messy) data sets, and finding effective ways to simplify and focus on practical opportunities to deliver value to our customers. To succeed at Hopper you need the talent, drive, and experience to thrive in a highly performing company.
You’ll translate raw data into usable and reliable information to unlock decision making, identifying patterns and delivering visibility into model performance and training, across our entire suite of fintech and travel products.
Specific challenges predicting our likely exposure / value at risk for our fintech products, optimizing pricing, training & retraining powerful models, and better understanding our impacts on retention and profitability.
- Build, deploy and tune Machine Learning models in production
- Manage ETL pipelines and infrastructure to support analytics and machine learning needs
- Own the full data integrity lifecycle, enabling analysis and the creation of dashboards by product and business teams to deliver customer focused products, and track business unit performance.
- Use machine learning and big data tools on large and complex data sets to enhance our data-driven, personalized travel advice
- Find effective ways to simplify and enable product managers and business analysts to interpret data and make well-informed decisions
• A degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Statistics, or other quantitative discipline
• Extremely strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Proven ability to communicate complex technical work to a non-technical audience
• Proven ability to implement MLops practices: implement data preparation, delivery, monitoring and continual tuning of ML solutions that improve customer experience and business outcomes
• Experience with machine learning and statistical modeling tools and underlying algorithms
• A strong passion for exploring data, extensive experience conducting empirical research and answering hard questions with data
• Experience with data warehousing, data infrastructure, and ETL (Terraform, AirFlow, Dataflow, BigQuery or similar tools)
• Experience with revenue management models in travel a plus
• Experience with Tensorflow and Kubeflow for model training and deployment
• More than 5 years of experience as a Data or Machine Learning Engineer
• Experience with feature engineering, breaking down complex business problems down to the data drivers
• Strong ability to communicate models and insights to stakeholders
• Able to design, create and measure consumer facing experiments
• Able to provide thought leadership on pricing and revenue management models
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a Retirement Savings Plan
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!