About the Job
We’re looking for an experienced Android Engineer to join our growth team to support Hopper’s European market expansion.
Despite the challenges of the pandemic, Hopper managed to have triple digit year-over-year revenue growth in 2020.. In fact, Hopper is recovering faster than the sector at large and that is driven in large part by the performance of our unique fin-tech products which offer travellers an unparalleled level of flexibility and control. In 2022, Hopper will enter Europe, one of the largest travel markets.
In this role you'll
- Build innovative customer experiences, setting standards for code and performance
- Create delightful user experiences in our app (Android)
- Work in a complex dynamic environment with a rich API tier
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
The ideal candidate has
- Thrived in mobile technologies and delivered delightful user experience at scale
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures, and algorithms to ensure adherence to software engineering best practices including object-oriented and functional programming.
- 3+ years experience as an Android developer using Kotlin, Java, Android SDK, Gradle, and Android Studio in an agile environment
- A proven ability to build prototypes and take a data-driven approach to product development, testing and measuring new ideas very quickly
- Solid knowledge of Android design patterns including Clean Architecture.
- Experience building multi-module Android apps is a big plus.
- Experience with MVVM/MVI is also a plus.
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists
- Backend experience, but if not, at least some basic backend knowledge and being willing to support the team with backend work when needed
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs well for our consumers
Our tech stack
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python and GoLang
- Our UI's are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android
- Unidirectional Dataflow & MVVM/MVI for mobile.
- We host our services on Google Cloud.
- We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, RedisGKE (K8) , Terraform.
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies
- No ego - strong focus on doing what is right for the customer and the company
- Technical depth to enable productive collaboration with world-class engineers
- Obsessive focus on the details in planning, evaluating, and building products
- Aptitude to work in a dynamic, high-growth business that operates at a very fast pace
- A customer-obsessed focus and positive, team-oriented attitude
- Excellent judgment and the confidence to make important trade-offs under pressure
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- Delightful Healthcare and Provident insurance
- Parental leave & Childcare.
- Extended parental leave for all new parents & daycare solutions
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!