About the job
The Super App team is focused on accelerating Hopper’s user growth by building new products in our app that will help us activate, retain and acquire new users at scale. We’re building out a wide range of products, like:
• Deal drops: flash sales that allow us to drive record sales and user growth, all with a CAC that is lower than traditional marketing.
• Loot boxes: fun, low-price-point loot boxes that give users rewards and help us get a first purchase from low-intent users.
• Rebuilding our homescreen and core navigation of the app to help drive discoverability for new features.
• All kinds of other gamification and growth-related products that will help drive user and revenue growth.
Overall, our goal is to pair Hopper’s world-class travel marketplace with the growth and retention mechanisms inspired by mobile games, super-apps, and category-leading retailers.
We started the team in January 2022, and the products we’ve launched so far have worked well enough that we’ve decided to scale from a small experimental team to two full verticals totaling 12+ engineers. To help us achieve that, we’re looking for a world-class Senior Engineering Manager to lead and grow the Super App engineering team.
• 3+ years of experience managing engineering teams in cross-functional, full-stack teams across mobile and backend engineering
• Experience hiring and growing a team of talented engineers
• Experience building both scrappy MVPs and scalable products with strong foundations
• Can work fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, and other highly skilled specialists
• Motivated by customer and business impact
• Thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- Past experience working on a mobile game, super app or e-commerce app
- Manage, mentor and grow a team of top-tier engineers working across the stack: iOS, Android, backend microservices, and data.
- Partner with our product managers to identify customer needs, generate requirements and plan implementation on an ambitious roadmap to turn Hopper into the super app for travel.
- Develop and execute against both short- and long-term roadmaps.
- Make effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation.
- Help refine our engineering processes to accelerate our development cadence and achieve a high level of technical excellence and stability.
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!