About this role
Do you want to help set the course for a new phase of innovation at Hopper Fintech? We're looking for an engineer experienced in developing Android apps and backend microservices to join our Travel Insurance team and reinvent what insurance is and means for travelers, build user experiences never before considered, and help us create a new standard for the category.
Hopper Fintech is a remarkable group of business leaders, designers, product managers, and software engineers that work closely to continuously add real customer value to the Hopper platform, by reducing the risk of planning travel. In this role, you will be a founding member of a new team, and will use data and your skills as a Fullstack Android Engineer to identify customer problems, and deliver and iterate on solutions.
About the product
Leveraging data science to solve customers’ problems is in Hopper’s DNA. While this began with helping customers save money by booking at the best time with our Price Prediction, more recently we’ve built a suite of novel Fintech products which help customers save money, retain optionality to cancel or change their trips as needed, and help them seamlessly rebook when they run into problems during their travel.
Travel insurance is next. While travel insurance is a $20B market which will be worth over $100B by 2030, the products and customer experience haven’t changed since the advent of online travel. We think now is the time for change. At Hopper, we are creating the most customer-centric travel insurance on the planet, and we need a smart, data-driven, and autonomous Fullstack Android Engineer to help us execute on our vision.
In this role, you will:
- Build delightful and exceptional user experiences in the Hopper Android app
- Have ownership for Android development for the Travel Insurance group in Hopper Fintech, including solution design and implementation in the mobile application
- Contribute to API design for backend services powering the mobile experience
- Work closely with the group's Head of Insurance, Product Manager, and Designer to identify customer needs, generate requirements, and rapidly implement and iterate on solutions
A strong candidate has:
- Exceptional recent experience and knowledge of development for Android, including at least three years building and improving clean and efficient user experiences
- Knowledge of backend architecture and APIs, including designing interfaces for consumption by mobile applications.
- A strong sense of ownership, typified by effective autonomy, good judgment, and bias for action.
- Consistently clear and proactive communication
- A desire and strength for working autonomously
The strongest candidate will also have:
- Recent experience working on iOS applications
- A passion for mentorship and a drive to continuously improve
- Experience working with successful, customer-centric mobile applications
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!