Product Managers at Hopper are “smart creatives” that will take Hopper from disruptive startup to the leader in online travel. As a Product Manager on the Disruption Protection team, you will work at the intersection of the business, software development, data science, and user experience to create innovative products and intuitive user experiences that reduce the stress of traveling. You will have a competitive understanding of the travel landscape to facilitate the creation of successful new features. On any given day - whether you’re weighing the tradeoffs of offering new features, scoping and specifying solutions, or shepherding features through development - your contribution will be critical to Hopper’s current and future success.
Hopper has been one of the biggest disruptors in the travel space since its launch in early 2015. Using proprietary data to power features which help users save money, plan smarter, and book with confidence, we’ve helped travelers plan hundreds of millions of trips and save billions of dollars. Along the way, we’ve nearly 10X’d our valuation over the last two years, most recently being valued at $5B in February 2022. And we’ve only just begun.
Leveraging data science to solve customers’ problems is in Hopper’s DNA. While this began with helping customers save money by booking at the best time with our Price Prediction, more recently we’ve built a suite of novel Fintech products which help customers save money, retain optionality to cancel or change their trips as needed, and help them seamlessly rebook when they run into problems during their travel.
This position is on the Disruption Protection team, focused on solving that last problem. Hopper offers a suite of products that helps our users navigate disruptions to travel (like flight delays, cancellations, or missed connections), and ultimately get where they need to be. If they experience a disruption, our customers can rebook themselves on any airline - right in the app - for free. The Disruption team is expanding rapidly by offering new products, entering travel verticals like Hotels and Cars, and offering our products in new distribution channels. As the Product Manager for the Disruption team, you are part of a cross functional team that is dedicated to this specific category; you will have immense impact, experience no gatekeeping, and no competing priorities, allowing you to truly focus on product work and your customers!
In this role, you will:
- Manage a product roadmap for a set of features from inception through implementation; collect requirements, establish key performance metrics, craft the user experience, and drive execution
- Dive deep into our data to understand our users, and create innovative solutions based on it
- Stay close to the customer–soliciting and reacting to customer feedback is a daily activity
- Work with business leaders to help shape and drive business cases for product features
- Collaborate with pricing analysts and engineers to develop risk-based pricing models
- Ideate and wireframe new features that will be in the hands of millions of users across the globe
- Identify the essential qualities of each feature: what's important, what's not, how can we limit cost and risk?
- Understand and explain complex technical issues, discern impact, and communicate them to maximize clarity and drive resolution
- Use good judgment to make appropriate trade-offs when scoping and specifying solutions, ensuring that anything we build adds value to the business and continues to delight our users
An ideal candidate has:
- Thrived in a consumer product role and delivered delightful features at scale
- Strong experience, knowledge of, and/or keen interest in Fintech, Insurtech, or risk-based products
- An innovative and detail-oriented approach to problem-solving
- The instinct to get on a whiteboard and explain their thinking, and even faster to document that thinking into expected use cases and user behaviors, driving UX for new features from start to finish
- Exceptional ability to grasp, manage, and articulate complex systems
- Experience connecting innovative solutions to real-world, user problems with actual business needs of a rapidly scaling organization
- Technical depth that allows you to communicate with, understand, and earn the respect of world-class engineers and data scientists
- A track record of being proactive and persuading colleagues by constructing a compelling narrative both in-person and in-writing
- Past success analyzing data, drawing accurate conclusions, and adjusting strategy accordingly
- No ego, and a strong focus on doing what is right for the customer and the company
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!