We’re searching for an experienced Product Designer to join our Payments team at Hopper. The designer will be the lead designer for the Payments team as we are building out this team. We’re looking for designers comfortable with a fast-paced, agile development process, team player with no ego when it comes to product or design and a strong commitment to doing what is right for the customer and the company.
About the job
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace - one that enables our customers to save money and travel better.
The vision of the payments team is to provide a magical and frictionless payment experience to our customers. We will do this by supporting all the major payment methods (‘unlocking choice’), optimizing our payment stack (‘frictionless payments’) and unifying and powering all payments flows at Hopper (Flights, Hotels, Homes, Rental Cars, Attractions & more) as well as our Hopper Cloud offering (Whitelabel solution).
Our long term vision is to remove any financial barriers to travel and truly make travel accessible to everyone. It’s cheaper, better and easier to purchase travel with Hopper!
What we’re looking for
- At least 3- 5 years of experience designing consumer-focused products
- Strong understanding of usability and user experience principles
- Demonstrated experience in visual design and a great sense for aesthetics that could both work with or extend Hopper’s style
- The enthusiasm to relentlessly research and understand the customer through all tools at their disposal, both quantitative and qualitative
- Comfortable designing products from MVP to ideal state with experience developing experiment driven work and basic analysis of success measurement
- Proven track record of working with product teams to ship successful native mobile products to users cross-platform for iOS and Android
- The ability to independently flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle ambiguity
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment in short iteration cycles to continuously refine user experiences based on customer feedback
- Have a solid experience working with Figma
- Strong portfolio showcasing your past work and design process – preferably focused on native mobile products
- Deliver solutions with a focus on a great user experience while balancing customer needs, company goals, design cohesion, and ease of implementation
- Own end-to-end user journey and all aspects of design execution from customer research to ideation to prototyping to usability tests to final product
- Seek out, understand, incorporate and communicate qualitative and quantitative feedback throughout the design process leveraging surveys, user testing and user data to measure feature performance in app
- Work autonomously in a cross-functional, agile product group with Product Managers, Engineers, and Data Scientists to prioritize and build new features
- Have a deep understanding of user needs and business objectives in your agile group’s product area
- Prioritize appropriately: Use good judgment to make appropriate tradeoffs to speed up product learning and balance competing priorities
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!