- 5+ years experience designing and shipping consumer-focused products, especially in categories like gaming, e-commerce, or on Growth projects in other sectors
- Track record of designing innovative products that drove business growth
- Ability to own design process end-to-end, from concept to smoke tests to full implementations, including a basic analysis of success measurement with minimal guidance and ambiguity
- History of leading discovery and ideation and aligning the group around a vision and approach
- Demonstrated experience in visual design, interactive design and prototyping
- Portfolio showcasing your past work and design process
About the Job
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer to lead the design on new product growth/product marketing projects on our Growth Team.
Our team is focused on accelerating Hopper’s user growth, which until now has been primarily through high-volume paid advertising. Now, we’re looking to build new products in our app that will help us activate, retain and acquire new users at scale. We’ll be testing a wide range of new ideas, from redesigning the onboarding, to building gamification, flash sales, team buying, and experimental features like live streaming into the app.
Overall, our goal is to pair Hopper’s world-class travel marketplace with the growth and retention mechanisms inspired by mobile games, super-apps, and category-leading retailers.
For context, Hopper is the most downloaded travel booking app in North America, with over 60M installs to date and $423M raised. We're going to do over $1B in sales this year and weathered COVID with triple-digit revenue growth thanks to our proprietary suite of data-driven fintech products.
- Redesign the new user experience for Hopper users, from simple tests around onboarding to more experimental features
- Design new products around live promotions, rewards and gamification to help activate and retain users
- Own end-to-end user journey and all aspects of design execution from ideation to prototyping to usability tests to final product
- Seek out, understand, incorporate and communicate qualitative and quantitative feedback throughout the design process leveraging surveys, user testing and user data to measure feature performance in app
- Work autonomously in a cross-functional, agile product group with Product Managers, Engineers, and Data Scientists to prioritize and build new features
- Competitive salary and stock options at a well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions
- Unlimited PTO
- $200 Carrot Cash annual travel stipend (available in most countries)
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid telemedicine, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!