Hopper offers a remote work policy that empowers employees to work from anywhere. You will have the opportunity to receive a WeWork All-Access pass or you can receive a work-from-home stipend if you prefer to work from home.
About the job
Do you want to have a real-world impact as part of a world-class engineering team? Join us at Hopper: the company that’s redefining how people travel. As an Android Engineer on our Ads team, you will design, implement, test, deploy, and operate new systems that leverage Hopper’s immense data to power a new suite of media products.
The Android Engineer will work at the intersection of Travel and AdTech…two huge, complex, and rapidly evolving spaces with compelling business and technology challenges. You’ll work daily with a small, cross-functional team of product managers, designers, and data scientists who are singularly focused on creating innovative products that delight Hopper’s suppliers and customers.
• University degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Mathematics or Statistics
• 3+ years professional experience building and maintaining high performing consumer facing software applications using an agile product development process
• Creative problem-solver with ability to look beyond existing business and technology limitations to identify new solutions
• Experience and desire to work with cross-functional teams of Product Managers, Data Scientists, Product Designers, Mobile Engineers, and Business Development Managers
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills and experience documenting and presenting to technical and non-technical audiences
• Experience with distributed system development in Scala
• Experience with Google Cloud Platform
• Experience making technology centered recommendations for platform build vs buy decisions
• Experience in the AdTech, Digital Media, or Travel domains a plus
• Web development experience a plus
Our tech stack
• Microservices architecture with over 200+ services
• Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python and GoLang
• UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android with some webflow and remote UI
• Services are hosted on GCP
• Tools used include HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, Redis, GKE (K8), and terraform
• Data Analytics processed via Datadog, Big Query, Data Studio, and Amplitude
- Working within our microservices tech stack, build and enhance features on Hopper’s Android app to support the growth of our Ads business
- Deeply, directly, contribute to suite of Growth related products, services and infrastructure
- Collaborate with a diverse and talented group of people, developing innovative solutions to challenging, impactful problems
- Help evolve our mobile architecture to consistently improve development efficiency
- Influence the technical direction for the team and the strategic direction of the product
- Conduct A/B experiments to test product improvement hypotheses and ensure new features add value to Hopper’s customers and business
- Apply system and subject matter expertise to quickly diagnose and fix technical issues hindering ad delivery or revenue generation on digital inventory
- Continuously optimize ad infrastructure and improve the quality of ad performance tracking
- Contribute to the maintenance and improvement of our microservices, and to feature implementation across our mobile apps and other other presentation layers, as may be required
- Thoughtfully assist with the evolution of our ops processes, participating in the on-call rotation for Growth owned domains
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- $200 annual travel stipend (available in most countries)
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!