About the job
As our first Senior Machine Learning (ML) Engineer on the Homes team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a greenfield product within Hopper’s $5B+ travel ecosystem.
You’ll work alongside a talented and experienced team of engineers, designers, and travel industry experts to bring Hopper’s travelers the best price, selection, convenience, and booking flexibility in home rentals.
In tandem with our product manager and fellow engineers, you will be a trusted partner in building out critical components for designing, building, and deploying machine learning models to surface the absolute best listings and lowest prices to our customers.
You will own the creation of these models and we will rely on you to test and ensure performance, accuracy, and quality, all of which will be critical towards the success of Homes.
- Lead Machine Learning initiatives across all areas of the product including, but not limited to search, personalization, and recommendation systems by leveraging data from millions of users.
- Own the end-to-end process of designing, building, and productionizing models from the ground up for solving problems revolving around ranking images, predicting and optimizing prices, and deduplication to drive top-line goals for the business.
- Work with product managers, analysts and other engineers to quickly prototype new ideas and run experiments to determine the next set of data driven features to build for Hopper Homes customers.
- A passionate focus on writing quality, testable, scalable code that performs well for our consumers
- Thorough understanding of at least one modern programming language (at Hopper we use mostly Scala and Python)
- 5+ years professional experience in designing, building, and training machine learning models
- Excelled in an environment with cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
- Exposure to data-intensive systems
- Experience writing production-quality code
- Experience with recommendation systems and ranking
- Domain expertise in ecommerce and pricing
- Experience working in a cloud environment with data warehouse technologies such as BigQuery, Redshift, Athena, or Snowflake
- Proven track record of leading less-experienced engineers in building stable and scalable production quality code
- Proven ability to build prototypes and take a data-driven approach to product development, testing and measuring new ideas very quickly
Our tech stack
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services.
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python.
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android.
- We mostly host our services on Google Cloud with some on-prem.
- We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, Redis.
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies.
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!