• 3+ years professional experience in native Android development with Kotlin language
• Experience building prototypes, and taking a data driven approach to product development, testing, and iteration
• Understanding of working with microservices at scale, familiarity with at least one server side stack (Scala or pure functional stacks preferred)
• A passion for building engaging user experiences
About the job
The Growth team at Hopper is directly impacting Hopper’s rapid acceleration, and has been instrumental to approximately tripling our valuation to $5B in the past year. Within the Growth business unit, our Incentives and Loyalty team is focused on engaging and educating both new and returning users. We're building out a currency platform (Carrot Cash), a related offer and discount system, and the Hopper Wallet - and using them to help millions of users more quickly derive value from our products.
As an Android developer on the team, you’ll be building out the product, helping design and implement new features, and helping drive the product direction to make sure we solve the right user problems, and find innovative ways to delight our customers. You’ll collaborate with an integrated team of talented engineers, designers, pms and data scientists to break down complex problems, experiment quickly, and build things at internet scale.
- Deeply, directly, contribute to our Carrot Cash, Wallet and Offers related products, services and infrastructure
- Collaborate with a team of talented engineers, developing innovative solutions to challenging, impactful problems
- Contribute to the maintenance and improvement of our microservices, and to feature implementation across our mobile apps and other other presentation layers, as may be required
- Thoughtfully assist with the evolution of our ops processes, participating in the on-call rotation for Growth owned domains
- Help evolve our architecture, consistently improving our development efficiency
- Influence the technical direction for the team and the strategic direction of the product
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- $200 annual travel stipend (available in most countries)
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)
- Android: Kotlin w/ some Java
- iOS: Swift
- Backend: Scala w/ some Python
- Storage: Postgres, BigQuery
- Infrastructure: GCP, K8s, Terraform
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!