About the job
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace - one that enables our customers to save money and travel better.
The vision of the payments team is to provide a magical and frictionless payment experience to our customers. We will do this by supporting all the major payment methods (‘unlocking choice’), optimizing our payment stack (‘frictionless payments’), and unifying and powering all payments flows at Hopper (Flights, Hotels, Homes, Rental Cars, Attractions & more) as well as our Hopper Cloud offering (Whitelabel solution). Our long term vision is to remove any financial barriers to travel and truly make travel accessible to everyone. It’s cheaper, better and easier to purchase travel with Hopper!
In this role, you’ll be working alongside a team of talented engineers and partner with product, design, and data science to prioritize, estimate, and implement new product features in an Agile environment.
- Contribute to feature implementation in our native mobile Android app (Kotlin/Java)
- Collaborate with a team of talented developers to develop innovative solutions to challenging, impactful technical problems
- Quickly prototype new ideas and run experiments to identify features that users love
- Help evolve our mobile architecture to consistently improve development efficiency
- Influence the technical and strategic direction of the product
- 4+ years professional experience in native mobile development
- Thorough understanding of the Android mobile platform
- A passion for building engaging user experiences
- A proven track record of building prototypes and taking a data approach to product development, testing and measuring new insights very quickly
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs well for our users
- A desire to help our team continuously improve
- Kotlin knowledge
- Worked with unidirectional data flow (MVI, Redux, etc.)
- Addressed compile-time/build performance issues
- Experience with dependency injection
- Knowledge about the Clean Architecture principles
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Medical, Dental and Vision allowance
- Wellness allowance
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!