A stellar opportunity to have massive impact: join the rapidly growing team at a company continually redefining how people travel. The Hotels Fintech unit at Hopper is shipping innovative new financial products that empower our users to find and book the right travel at the right time for the best price. We are looking for a Principal Engineer to oversee the development of our rapidly-expanding backend systems.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Pioneer future development and technical execution for the services that drive our consumer travel app
- Drive team members towards an inspiring vision, advocating for best practices, performance and reliability
- Oversee technical health of larger fintech backend, helping product teams make good architectural decisions and avoid pitfalls
- Deliver complex features and pioneer new functionalities for our customers
- Collaborate directly with the company’s technology leadership
- Mentor and coach technical team members
A PERFECT CANDIDATE HAS:
- Thrived in complex microservices ecosystem and written robust and highly-performant web services
- A drive to iterate architecture in harmony with an agile workflow
- Designed and developed new microservices in an environment fueling the actions and experience of millions of users
- Experience leading an Agile development team
- A love of learning and teaching
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!