About the job
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace - one that enables our customers to save money and travel better.
The vision of the payments team is to provide a magical and frictionless payment experience to our customers. We will do this by supporting all the major payment methods (‘unlocking choice’), optimizing our payment stack (‘frictionless payments’) and unifying and powering all payments flows at Hopper (Flights, Hotels, Homes, Rental Cars, Attractions & more) as well as our Hopper Cloud offering (Whitelabel solution).
Our long term vision is to remove any financial barriers to travel and truly make travel accessible to everyone. It’s cheaper, better and easier to purchase travel with Hopper!
We’re searching for an experienced Payment Operations Manager, your focus will be centered on delivering insights that drive improvements across all aspects of Hopper’s global payment capabilities. You will work closely with business leaders, product and domain leads to identify and build payment improvements and create visibility that will help drive the success of the platform. You will be able to master payments at one of the most global, innovative and forward thinking companies in the world.
- Manage end-to-end payment processes and requirements while supporting and providing insight into creating a world class payment acceptance globally and for all verticals at Hopper.
- Manage the relationships with Hopper’s PSPs and Payment providers to ensure our ever evolving payment needs are supported
- Lead internal projects to expand and adjust our payment capabilities to support new business lines, market expansions and changing regulatory requirements in the region
- Identify enhancements within our payment services while communicating with product management and engineering teams effectively.
- Develop and automate reports and dashboards that will provide insights at scale, solving for analytical needs
- Drive issue and incident identification, business impact analysis and engage with a wider team for resolution
- Monitor payment metrics and implement initiatives to further improve performance and reliability
- Partner with a range of cross-functional teams, to ensure open communications flow and alignment on priorities
- Ensure financial statement / reporting and payment regulation compliance
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to ensure continuous improvements to Hopper’s best in class payments systems
- Effectively manage escalations and drive process improvement changes across internal and external stakeholders
What we’re looking for
- At least 2-3 years of experience working in the consumer payments domain. Prior exposure to e-commerce, subscriptions and-or online payments (global and local) industry preferred.
- Knowledge of payments processing industry including authorization, settlement, funding, chargebacks, interchange, card association rules/regulations, EMV, tokenization, encryption, PCI DSS, digital e/m-commerce payments, fraud, and current industry trends/challenges
- Strong quantitative analytical skills including the ability to interpret large structured data, develop recommendations and analysis. Experience designing, running, and presenting data analysis with hands-on SQL querying.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with strong ability to multi-task
- Outstanding critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, ability to use data to quickly prioritize activities for alignment with business strategy
- Effective cross-functional project management experience
- Excellent, clear communications skills at all levels
- Ability to understand complex technical systems
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- Very generous parental leave
- Medical and dental insurances
- Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!